Evacuation drama after 'chemical' fire
AROUND 30 apartments were evacuated after a fire thought to have involved chemicals broke out in Essex.The blaze took hold at an industrial unit next to a block of flats in Great Baddow just after 9pm last night.
AROUND 30 apartments were evacuated after a fire thought to have involved chemicals broke out in Essex.
The blaze took hold at an industrial unit next to a block of flats in Great Baddow just after 9pm last night.
As fire crews and chemical specialists tackled the inferno, police moved the residents away from the scene and created a safety zone.
Firefighters used aerial platforms to create a water tower while they fought to control the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
A Hazmat officer was also drafted in because it was feared cleaning fluids were involved, but this later proved unfounded.
The fire was brought under control at around midnight, but a fire spokeswoman said crews would return this morning to ensure the area was safe.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 8 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
A joint police and fire service investigation is now under way to establish the cause of the blaze.