Evacuation drama after 'chemical' fire
AROUND 30 apartments were evacuated after a fire thought to have involved chemicals broke out in Essex.The blaze took hold at an industrial unit next to a block of flats in Great Baddow just after 9pm last night.
AROUND 30 apartments were evacuated after a fire thought to have involved chemicals broke out in Essex.
The blaze took hold at an industrial unit next to a block of flats in Great Baddow just after 9pm last night.
As fire crews and chemical specialists tackled the inferno, police moved the residents away from the scene and created a safety zone.
Firefighters used aerial platforms to create a water tower while they fought to control the blaze.
A Hazmat officer was also drafted in because it was feared cleaning fluids were involved, but this later proved unfounded.
The fire was brought under control at around midnight, but a fire spokeswoman said crews would return this morning to ensure the area was safe.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 4 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 6 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
A joint police and fire service investigation is now under way to establish the cause of the blaze.