Ex-Littlewoods store to become Madhouse
IPSWICH: The largest store in the Tower Ramparts shopping centre is to get a new lease of life – after nearly five years of lying empty.
The former Littlewoods department store fronting the bus station is being turned into a Madhouse clothing store – and should open its doors before the end of the month.
The discount chain is taking over two storeys – the upper and lower ground floors – but will be running them as two separate units at present.
Tower Ramparts centre manager Mike Sorhaindo said the move was great news for the town.
“That unit has been closed since January 2006, so it is wonderful to get it occupied again.
You may also want to watch:
“For the time being, the escalators between the floors will not be operating so they will be run as separate units with slightly different clothes.
“But in the future, who knows?”
- 1 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 2 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
Madhouse has been in the town for many years.
Originally, it had a unit in the Buttermarket centre and then took over the former Zavvi store in Westgate Street.
Earlier this year, that store was taken over by JD Sports, but the new store will be much larger than any it has had in the town previously.
Mr Sorhaindo said: “This will be one of the largest stores it has in the country, if not the biggest, so it is wonderful news that it is opening here just at the start of the Christmas season.”
When the store opens on October 30, Madhouse will stock a huge range of men’s and ladies designer, fashion and sportswear brands.
Mr Sorhaindo added: “This is fantastic news for Tower Ramparts.
“Madhouse will significantly bolster the retail offer at the centre, adding to our existing great line up, which includes an Apple iStore, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and Quiz.
“In conjunction with the opening of the Crown Street car park, we expect it to produce a significant increase in business leading into our pre-Christmas shopping period and beyond.”