Ex-Town star accused of driving at 109mph
IPSWICH: Former Blues’ star Hermann Hreidarsson is due to stand trial after being accused of driving at nearly 110mph.
A firm favourite of Ipswich Town fans during his time at Portman Road, Hreidarsson is accused of breaking the 70mph speed limit on the dual carriageway on the A35 Puddletown bypass in Dorset. Hreidarsson denies the charge,
The prosecution said he was allegedly caught speeding at 109mph.
The offence is said to have taken place on October 3, the same day as his current team Portsmouth beat Wolves 1-0 in an away win at Molineux.
Hreidarsson case came before Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, but the 35-year-old Icelandic international did not attend.
You may also want to watch:
However, he was represented by a solicitor and a not guilty plea was entered.
Hreidarsson, of Poole, was allegedly caught by manned equipment.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 9 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 10 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
He now faces up to six points on his licence and a potential ban if it is proved that he was driving at nearly 40mph above the speed limit.
A date for Hriedarsson’s trial has been set for July 2.
The defender, who has won 53 international caps, was signed by George Burley in August 2000 after Ipswich were promoted to the Premier League through the previous season’s play-offs.
At the time he was Town’s record signing with the club paying �4million for him from Wimbledon.
Hreidarsson spent almost three seasons with the Blues, making more than 120 appearances and scoring three goals.
He was sold in March 2003 to Charlton for �900,000.
Hreidarsson was then signed by Portsmouth in 2007. He has also played for Crystal Palace, and Brentford, Wimbledon.