Ex-Town star denies any involvement
FORMER Ipswich Town star Kieron Dyer last night denied any involvement with the alleged attack on a teenage girl in a London hotel.The Newcastle United and England midfielder spoke out on the allegations and rumours he was tied to the 17-year-old's claims of being gang-raped by Premiership footballers.
FORMER Ipswich Town star Kieron Dyer last night denied any involvement with the alleged attack on a teenage girl in a London hotel.
The Newcastle United and England midfielder spoke out on the allegations and rumours he was tied to the 17-year-old's claims of being gang-raped by Premiership footballers.
Dyer, 24, who was born and raised in Ipswich, said: "I had no involvement in this matter let alone being 'at the centre of it' as suggested in emails, websites and elsewhere."
In a statement issued through his lawyers to "set the record straight and put and end to the massive speculation", the soccer star said his friends and family had been hounded and his reputation "damaged in the most public way possible".
You may also want to watch:
He added: "Until now I have felt trapped and it has been very frustrating that I have been unable to clarify publicly the facts which clearly exonerate me, whilst the police conduct their inquiries."
Dyer's statement came after two footballers, aged 22 and 19, were arrested by detectives investigating the alleged attack at the Grosvenor Hotel on September 26/27.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
In the statement, Dyer said he had stayed at the hotel on the night in question, had visited a bar with a friend and they returned at about 2.20am, going to their room alone.
He said rooms of other people he had checked-in with had mistakenly been put under his name and led to a storm of speculation.
The footballer said he had been "massively hurt" by Press coverage – including a "blurred" photograph of him – which he felt "obviously" identified him.
Dyer, who is on international duty with the England squad in Turkey for the crucial Euro 2004 qualifier, added: "I recognise that the claims made by the woman involved are of the most serious nature, and warrant a thorough investigation, that is without doubt.
"I do not wish to trivialise these serious allegations. It is for this reason that I have not stated by position until now."
Dyer stressed he had not been disciplined by his club and reports of rows with team-mates about the incident were "categorically untrue"
He added: "I have, from the very beginning, had a number of witnesses who can and have corroborated my whereabouts which prove I had no involvement in the alleged events."
Dyer, a former pupil of Westbourne High School in Ipswich, scored 10 goals in 107 games for Ipswich before joining Newcastle for £6.5million in the summer of 1999. He has played 16 times for England, including in last year's World Cup.
n The two footballers arrested yesterday in connection with the alleged attack were released on police bail last night.
Two other men, who are not footballers, have also been arrested and bailed in the investigation.