Ex-Town star’s driving ban

FORMER Ipswich Town and England midfielder Kieron Dyer has been banned from driving for six months after being convicted of speeding and failing to provide information.

The 31-year-old was sentenced for three offences at Lowestoft Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Dyer, who is currently with West Ham, was fined �350 for driving his �33,000 Mercedes E350 CDI at 95mph on the A12 at Great Wenham, near Capel St Mary, on April 3 at 9.18am.

He was also ordered to pay �85 costs and given five penalty points on his licence.

The former pupil of Ipswich’s Westbourne High School was also fined �175 for failing to provide his driving licence in connection with the speeding offence.

You may also want to watch:

Both matters were proven in his absence at a hearing in Lowestoft on August 5.

Dyer was also given six points on his licence and fined �525 for another unrelated offence.

Most Read

In addition, he was also ordered to pay �930 costs and a �15 victim surcharge after being convicted in his absence on August 25 of failing to provide information about the identity of the driver of a Mercedes. The offence stems from a warned notice of intended prosecution sent to Dyer, which asked for the name of a driver of the vehicle at the time of an alleged incident.

This offence took place between December 11 last year and February 1 this year.

Dyer, of Coney Byes Lane, West Bergholt, near Colchester, did not attend court yesterday, but was disqualified after passing the 12-point threshold.

Dyer made his debut for Ipswich in 1996 as a 17-year-old in the 3-1 home win against Crystal Palace.

After 113 games and 12 goals, he signed for Newcastle United in a �6.5million move in 1999.

Capped by England at Under-18, 20, and 21 levels, Dyer made more than 30 appearances for the full England side.

He was also included in the squad for the 2002 World Cup in Japan, where he played in three matches.

However, Dyer’s career has been blighted by injuries.

In 2007, Dyer moved to West Ham from Newcastle for �6m, making his debut in August that year, before sustaining a career-threatening broken leg at Bristol Rovers in a League Cup tie in the same month.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus