Eye: Murder inquiry gets fresh information
POLICE have said a renewed appeal for help from the public to shed light on the murder of a retired thatcher has given them new information to work with.
More than a year on, detectives investigating the murder of Richard Clarke, 73, remain baffled by his death.
Mr Clarke’s body was discovered in the driveway of his home in Cranley Green Road, Eye, in August 2009.
This summer police renewed their appeal for information and last month Mr Clarke’s family hit the streets in Eye, handing out flyers with the help of Crimestoppers, asking for anyone with any information about his death to get in touch.
And detectives say that they have been given some helpful new feedback that they will be investigating since the flyers were distributed.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “We have received information following the renewed appeal through Crimestoppers. We are examining this and will be pursuing any identified lines of enquiry.
“Any piece of information, however small, could be the key to finding out exactly what happened to Richard, finding the person responsible and bringing some comfort to his family.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 4 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 5 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 6 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 7 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 8 Investigation to find fly-tipper who dumped rubbish near A14
- 9 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 10 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
“We are pleased that the Crimestoppers appeal has given us new information to work with.”
Mr Clarke was found with serious head injuries in the early hours of Saturday August 22 and later died.
Police believe he was the victim of an assault at some point between being dropped at his home by a taxi on the evening of Friday August 21 and being found the next morning.
The Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Major Investigation Team has carried out extensive inquiries but nobody has been charged.
To date, the investigation has not been able to establish any motive for this attack and senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Neil Luckett said he was confident that someone in the community held “the key piece of information” that would solve the case.
Anyone who can help the inquiry can call Suffolk Police on 01473 613500.