Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C

Search

Eyke: Suffolk man remains in isolation unit after catching Ebola virus

William Pooley from Eyke, near Woodbridge, who has contracted Ebola

William Pooley from Eyke, near Woodbridge, who has contracted Ebola

Archant

A volunteer nurse from Suffolk who became the first confirmed Briton to be struck down by the Ebola virus remains confined to a specialist unit at a London hospital.

Will Pooley, from Eyke, near Woodbridge, caught the potentially deadly virus while treating patients at a hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone.

The 29-year-old was flown back to the UK for treatment in an isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital in north London, where he was given the first dose of the experimental drug ZMapp on Monday.

Hopes of a breakthrough in the fight against Ebola have since been raised by the 100% successful treatment of 18 rhesus macaque monkeys with ZMapp, which cured the animals even when administered five days after infection, while they were displaying severe symptoms.

The Royal Free Hospital last night said there had been no update in Mr Pooley’s condition since Wednesday, when consultant and clinical lead in infectious diseases Michael Jacobs said the volunteer health worker was receiving round-the-clock care but that his treatment could take weeks, if not longer, and that there was no guarantee he will survive.

Mr Pooley has been praised by colleagues as “particularly brave” after he risked his life to volunteer at the Kenema Government Hospital when he heard about the need for medics.

Dr Oliver Johnson, who worked with him in Sierra Leone, said he was an “extraordinary guy” who knew the risks involved but was prepared to take them for the sake of the patients.

Health chiefs have insisted the risk to the British public from Ebola “remains very low”.

An alcoholic accused of murdering a homeless man whose badly beaten body was found in the stairwell of a Colchester car park has told a court that the victim was still alive when he and his two co-defendants left him.

Free tickets to go and watch the mighty Tractor Boys play at Portman Road are being given to nearby schools.

A nursery in Felixstowe has been put into special measures after it received its second “inadequate” Ofsted inspection this year.

A charity will be able to continue changing the lives of young people in Sudbury after it was awarded £120,000 to buy its premises.

Armed police were called to a Suffolk village yesterday after a man with a knife barricaded himself inside a property.

A Bury St Edmunds secondary school will no longer operate on two sites from September next year, it has been announced.

As politicians in the House of Commons debate the latest draft agreement that has been thrashed out negotiators, business leaders in Suffolk and Essex have shared their thoughts on whether they support Mrs May’s proposals or not.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24