Fake police officer rips off couple to tune of £5,000
An Ipswich couple have been duped into handing over £5,000 to a con man posing as a police officer.
A man claiming to be a detective with the Metropolitan Police called their home in north-west Ipswich at about 12.30pm on Monday.
A woman in her 80s was told there had been a fraud on her and her husbands’ bank account and that people had been arrested. She was told to visit her bank and withdraw cash, which would be collected to be tested.
She was told not to hang up the phone and to dial numbers to confirm the caller’s identity. She did so, not realising that the line was still open and that she was still talking to the scammers. She then went into Ipswich and withdrew the money.
A man the arrived at their home at about 7pm and took the cash. He is described as possibly being of mixed race, with a brown complexion, in his 20s, about 5ft 6in, slim, with black hair described as being in an ‘Elvis Presley’ style. He wore dark glasses, spoke with an accent, may have been wearing brown tracksuit-style clothing, and was carrying a bag.
You may also want to watch:
Police are asking anyone who may have seen a man matching the description in the Larchcroft Road, Dale Hall Lane, Congreve Road, Hazelcroft Road area at the time to contact Dc Ian Stockwell at Ipswich on 101, quoting crime number IW/15/3953.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 8 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 9 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
- 10 Town confirm four more exits at end of season