Fans travel more than 8,000 miles a year to see ITFC play away
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
You do not have to be bonkers, as Mick McCarthy would say, to follow Ipswich Town home and away – but it probably helps.
Especially considering how far you would have to travel to do just that; more than 8,000 miles.
In a survey of the distances which will be covered by supporters of Championship clubs this season Ipswich fans will clock up the fourth greatest thanks to the town’s East Anglian location.
A fan going to every single away game in the league will travel 8,138 miles, calculated from the distances from Portman Road to each away ground.
At the top of the travelling table are fans of Brighton and Hove Albion (8,758 miles), followed by Cardiff City (8,605 miles) and Middlesbrough (8,331 miles).
You may also want to watch:
The longest single journey for Town supporters is from Ipswich to Blackbrun Rovers’ Ewood Park – a 506-mile round trip in the car taking more than eight hours.
The shortest total milage for a club’s fans will be those following Derby County who will travel 4,914 miles over the season.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 8 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 9 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
Fans will not only cover thousands of miles in support of Town, but are set to spend hundreds of pounds in the process. Supporters who drive to every game will fork out an average of £1,110 on fuel and £225 on parking.
The research was conducted by parking app JustPark.