Fatal A12 crash - survivors pulling through

Police are investigating amid the aftermath of a devastating crash in which one Ipswich woman was killed and two men from the town left fighting for their lives.

Two Ipswich men were both taken to hospital in serious conditions.

One, in his 40s, was flown by air ambulance to Royal London Hospital and another, in his 30s, was flown to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.

Essex Police have today confirmed the man in his 40s, has now been discharged whilst the other man is “improving” and has been moved onto a ward at Addenbrooke’s.

Relatives of the victims have been informed, and officers are now piecing together the events which led to the horrific crash.

You may also want to watch:

They were all travelling in the same BMW when the accident happened at about 8.40am yesterday on the northbound carriageway at Dedham.

One of the men had been released from the wreckage before firefighters from Colchester and Manningtree arrived on the scene.

Most Read

The second man was released from the vehicle by about 10am by crews who used hydraulic cutting equipment and a power saw.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “The male casualties suffered multiple traumas including broken bones and one of them had a severe head injury. They are both in a serious condition.

“Two air ambulances, one from Norfolk and the other from Essex, attended the scene and were able to land nearby. They were carrying a highly-skilled crew of doctors and paramedics who were able to treat the casualties when they arrived and transport them in comfort to the hospitals.”

Three ambulances and a rapid response vehicle were also called to help deal with the incident.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Officers were called at about 8.40am following reports that a car had struck a bridge on the northbound carriageway at Dedham.

“All emergency services were called to the scene and the A12 was closed northbound at Gun Hill and southbound from the Dedham turn-off.”

The A12 was gridlocked in both directions with long tailbacks as emergency services worked to free the casualties and clear the debris from the road.

Police were able to open the southbound carriageway just before noon to get the traffic moving again. The northbound carriageway was closed for more than six hours and was not reopened until about 3pm after police had completed an initial investigation and engineers had examined the bridge.

Traffic was diverted off the A12 while the road closure was in place, causing disruption in several neighbouring villages, particularly Stratford St Mary, as motorists looked for alternative routes.

Any witnesses to the crash are being urged to contact Stanway Road Policing Unit on 0300 333 4444.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus