Fatal crash causes traffic chaos
By Ted JeoryCOMMUTERS endured hours of traffic chaos after a woman pedestrian was killed on an A12 slip road.Traffic was diverted through Colchester after the fatal accident on the southbound A12 at the Ardleigh interchange at about 4am yesterday.
By Ted Jeory
COMMUTERS endured hours of traffic chaos after a woman pedestrian was killed on an A12 slip road.
Traffic was diverted through Colchester after the fatal accident on the southbound A12 at the Ardleigh interchange at about 4am yesterday.
A white Mercedes van was involved in a collision with the woman, who had been walking on the slip road from the roundabout at the north end of Ipswich Road.
You may also want to watch:
An ambulance and rapid response vehicle were on scene within minutes, but the woman - who has not been named, but is believed to be aged in her 30s and come from the Colchester area - was declared dead at the scene.
An Essex Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The crews found a woman with massive multiple injuries. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done to help her and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Matchday Recap: It rains goals at Portman Road as Town hit six
- 4 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 9 Ipswich Town 6-0 Doncaster Rovers: Evans leads the way as ruthless Blues cut loose under the lights
- 10 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
“The man driving the van was treated for shock at the scene, but did not require to go to hospital.
“This was an extremely difficult job for all the crews and they will be offered critical incident debriefing.”
Police closed the A12 for more than four hours while they cleared the scene and launched an investigation into the accident.
Traffic tailed back miles towards Ipswich and diversions were set up through Colchester, causing chaos lasting into the morning rush-hour.
An Essex Police spokesman said: “Police have been investigating the area to determine the cause of the crash.”
Anyone with information should contact Stanway traffic police on 01206 762512.