‘Fatty substance’ washes up on the beach at Sizewell causing alarm for dog walkers
- Credit: citizenside.com
There have been reports that a ‘fatty substance’ has washed onto the beach at Sizewell in Suffolk - causing alarm for dog walkers.
Gill Fisher posted a warning on Facebook to fellow dogwalkers that the they should keep their pets away from it as it could make them ill if they eat it.
She posted: “The storm has caused a huge amount of debris to wash up on the beach and among it is are large lumps of a fatty substance that is very appealing to dogs.
“The coastguard were down there checking it out and believe it to be whale blubber (but not certain) and advised to keep dogs away from the shoreline.
“If eaten it could make your dog sick or worse.”
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet known what exactly the substance is but there has been speculation that it may be palm oil.
It comes just two months after a spate of dog deaths around the Suffolk and Norfolk coast caused by the animals eating toxic shellfish.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
In January, two animals, a seven-year-old siberian husky and a golden retriever called Hattie both died in separate incidents.
Testing carried out by Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) confirmed that the dogs had been killed by the Paralytic Shellfish Poisioning toxin (PSP) which is thought to have come from contaminated creatures eaten by the dogs.
It is still not known where the contaminated shellfish came from but it is believed they were most likely washed up during winter storms.