Felixstowe: A45 reopens after port closure
The A45 was reopened at 6.30pm today after Operation Stack was put into place.
The operation was put in place after Felixstowe Port had to be closed due to strong winds.
Port of Felixstowe officials announced that the port was closed with wind speeds of more than 45mph affecting quayside, rail and yard operations at the 700-acre complex.
There were delays and truckers were advised to consider re-scheduling their arrivals.
The port’s holding areas – which can take around 300 lorries – were full and Operation Stack was put in place.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers were advised to leave the A14 at Seven Hills and use the parking area on the old A45 at Levington, where Suffolk police and Highways Agency officials marshalled vehicles.
“From this time, no container vehicles will be allowed onto the port until Operation Stack is lifted unless they have a ticket,” said the port spokesman.
- 1 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 6 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 7 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 8 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 9 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 10 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
“Tickets can be obtained from the holding area on the old A45.
“Any vehicles arriving at the port without a ticket and valid VBS booking will be redirected either to its local yard or to the old A45.”