Community choir helps trio of charities
- Credit: Archant
Three good causes have each received £1,000 from the members of Felixstowe Community Choir.
Since it formed five and a half years ago, the choir has given £24,000 to charity, as well as appearing in many fundraising concerts and events.
Nominated and chosen by choir members, the latest charity cheques went to Fresh Start, New Beginnings, Music in Felixstowe and the schoolroom at Ipswich Hospital.
Choir founder Rachel Sloane said: “We are a non-profit-making choir, run by volunteers, so any surplus funds are given to charity. The diverse charities chosen this time show the breadth of interests amongst our members and it is especially pleasing when our donation makes a real difference to a small local charity.”
Cheques were received, at a choir meeting, by Hattie Bennett (from Music in Felixstowe), Diana Porter (Fresh Start, New Beginnings) and Kate Kingsford-Bere (teacher at the Ipswich Hospital schoolroom.)
Felixstowe Community Choir meets at the Orwell Hotel on Monday evenings throughout the year (including Bank Holidays) and anyone over 18 is welcome to attend.
Singers pay £4 per week, and there is the charity raffle.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
The choir sings mainly show tunes and pop songs. There are usually around eighty men and women attending, led by professional musician, Emily Bennett.