Felixstowe: Council looks to take legal action to remove travellers from a car park in Felixstowe
- Credit: Archant
Community leaders have pledged to take action to remove a group of travellers who have set up camp in a Felixstowe car park.
Officials from Suffolk Coastal District Council have visited the site in the Ranelagh Road car park after it was reported to them this month.
An assortment of caravans and cars are currently occupying part of the car park, and outdoor tables for eating have also been set up.
Other camps have been reported by homeowners in the resort in recent weeks.
A spokesman for the district council said: “The council was made aware of an unauthorised encampment on Ranelagh Road and has visited the site.
“We are fully aware of the inconvenience this may cause and steps will be taken, in line with legislation, to remove the occupants from the site as soon as possible.”
Last summer travellers parked on the south seafront site shortly before Bloor Homes began the £25million homes and maritime park development.
- 1 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 2 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 3 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 4 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 5 Norwood holds talks with one of Town's fellow League One rivals
- 6 Missing 17-year-old boy found safe
- 7 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 8 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
- 9 Hunt continues for group of youths who pushed man to ground and stole bike
- 10 See inside stunning £1.85M home with 'fabulous' outside pool and paddocks
A second group then moved on to the Garrison Lane car park and then moved to Manor Terrace.
Councillors have insisted they are doing all they can to deal with the new travellers’ site in Ranelagh Road, but they must first follow procedures.
A spokesman for the council added: “Together with Suffolk County Council we are required by law to carry out a ‘welfare audit’ first which will establish the wellbeing of the occupants.
“However, providing that no issues are identified, appropriate action will then be taken to remove all of the travellers, their vehicles and all their possessions from the Ranelagh Road site at the earliest opportunity.”