Felixstowe festive ice rink set to open between December 19 and 23 in Great Eastern Square
- Credit: Archant
Families will be able to enjoy free fun on an ice rink at Felixstowe this Christmas following successful negotiations with a leading retailer.
The East of England Co-operative Society has not only given permission for the forecourt of its Great Eastern Square shopping complex and supermarket in Hamilton Road to be used for the rink, but has also agreed sponsorship for the event.
Felixstowe Town Council is organising the synthetic ice rink as a special project for the community to bring a little Christmas cheer and to encourage thousands more visitors and shoppers during the festive season.
Town mayor Doreen Savage said: “The ice rink will be a fantastic addition to the town centre and is sure to be hugely popular with children and adults of all ages.
“The town council is delighted to have the support of the East of England Co-op and several district councillors as it means we are able to let people use the rink for free.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s the first time we will have done anything like this in the town centre and if it proves to be as popular as we expect, hopefully it can become a regular event. I’m really looking forward to opening the rink as we have the Salvation Army Band coming to play a few numbers on the day as well.”
Several Suffolk Coastal councillors have allocated part of their individual “enabling communities budget” towards the venture.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 7 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 8 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 Publican 'bitterly disappointed' as holiday home plans refused
Other activities being planned alongside the rink include rides for smaller children and a stall serving hot food and drinks.
Mrs Savage will open the ice rink at noon on Saturday, December 19. Members of the public will be able to use the rink between noon and 8pm from December 19 until Wednesday, December 23.
On Sunday, December 20 it will open from 10am to 6pm.