Felixstowe: Loving wife is remembered at bench handover
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk man recalled his wonderful and loving wife as he placed a single red rose on a bench he has donated in her memory.
Charles Dewen, 75, said he had been devastated by the death of his wife Eve – but wanted to thank the home where she lived her last days for their tender care.
Mrs Dewen died at the age of 80 in March 2010 at The Firs residential home in Grange Road, Felixstowe.
She had been suffering from respiratory disease for some years and was confined to a wheelchair in her final days.
Mr Dewen, of Kingsfleet Road, Felixstowe, said: “She was a wonderful wife and I was heartbroken when she died.
You may also want to watch:
“She had been unwell for a long time and as the illness got worse I couldn’t care for her at home and so she moved into The Firs.
“The staff at the home were marvellous and they cared for her superbly.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 7 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
“I wanted to do something as a memorial for Eve but also something to thank the home for their care, and I thought the bench would be a lovely gesture as all the residents can enjoy sitting on it, outside in the gardens, on fine days.”
Mr Dewen, a retired security officer, handed over the bench to staff at the home and put in place a plaque to Eve who would be “forever in my heart”.
He said: “We were together for just over 17 years and we never had a cross word.”
Mr and Mrs Dewen met in Burnt Oak in the London borough of Barnet after they had both lost their spouses to cancer.
He said: “We met at a divorced and separated club and I popped the question after just seven weeks and we were married six weeks later – it was love at first sight.”