Felixstowe: New pier complex could bring big boost for resort’s tourist trade
PROPOSALS for a multi-million pound new-style pier at Felixstowe have today been welcomed at the resort – with the hope that it will bring people back to the seaside.
Pier owner Stan Threadwell has submitted plans to Suffolk Coastal and is securing private funding for the project.
If the go-ahead is given, it is hoped work will start next year with completion in 2014.
Stan Harris, who runs the Ocean Boulevard amusements on Felixstowe seafront, gave the project the thumbs up.
“I think it will be good for the town and bring in extra visitors – it would be great if we get coach parties back again,” he said.
“There could be a knock-on effect with the Spa, and other businesses aong the seafront investing in new attractions.”
Andrew Rowdon, chairman of Felixstowe Chamber of Trade, said: “It would be a real draw for Felixstowe.
- 1 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 2 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 3 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 4 Man, 33, jailed for 10 years for child sex offences
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 6 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 8 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 9 'We want him to be effective' - McKenna on Celina
- 10 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
“I think that’s probably the one thing that’s missing and if we get the seafront sorted out that would bring a lot more people into Felixstowe. I think it would be revitalising.”
Geoff Holdcroft, Suffolk Coastal cabinet member for leisure and economic development, said: “This is a bold and imaginative proposal which if it could be turned into reality could be a really exciting new attraction for Felixstowe.”
The current pier will be replaced with a new entertainments complex.