Felixstowe: New pier decision to be made this autumn
COUNCILLORS will not make a decision on the bold and imaginative proposals for a multi-million pound new pier at Felixstowe until the autumn.
Public consultation is underway and Suffolk Coastal said today that it was keen for people and organisations to submit their views.
Pier owner Stan Threadwell has submitted plans to the council and is securing private funding.
“Obviously the official consultation period has only just begun and it will be interesting to see the views of both the public and the relevant official bodies about this project, all of which will be taken into account before development control councillors reach a decision on the plans,” said Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member for leisure and economic development.
“Clearly, the proposals are slightly more complicated by the fact that they also include land and buildings owned by the council.”
The Felixstowe Futures team have already been in discussions with Pier Amusements Ltd about how they can work together to help in the regeneration of the whole area around the pier, leisure centre and boating lake.
Mr Holdcroft said it was unlikely the application would appear before councillors before the early autumn.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 3 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 4 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 7 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 8 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 9 'I'm almost getting fed goals on a plate... there's no better feeling' - Town match-winner Burns loving life at Ipswich
- 10 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
The proposals involve demolishing the current pier and replacing it with a new two-storey seaside entertainment complex, part of which would go out over the sea, featuring a function suite seating 325 people, cafes, restaurants, bowling facility, leisure attractions and a high-tech observation deck to watch the shipping.
? If people wish to send comments to Suffolk Coastal about the pier application they should email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the reference numbers C12/0944/0955 at the top of the email.