Felixstowe: New walking group in resort
- Credit: Archant
It is one of the most popular ways to keep fit and healthy.
And now a new group in Felixstowe hopes more people will pull on their walking shoes and join them for a relaxing stroll along the seafront and countryside.
The Felixstowe Walkers, part of the Felixstowe Society, was officially launched on Friday.
Jan Garfield, mayor of Felixstowe, led out the first group from the Town Hall and along the prom as they took in the fresh sea air.
Mrs Garfield, one of the leaders of the Felixstowe Health Walking Group, said: “I am delighted to be able to launch this new group, operating as part of the Felixstowe Society.
You may also want to watch:
“I have worked with all those who will be leaders of the new group and I know they will produce an interesting and varied programme of walks which I am sure will be appreciated by residents and visitors alike.
“I would also like to thank the Felixstowe Society who have provided a home for this group and will give it continuing support.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 7 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
The group’s first official programme of walks, which are between 2.5 and 3 miles long, will run twice a month until July and will include strolls in Waldringfield, Felixstowe and the Trimleys.
Alan Muchal, a walk leader, said: “The first walk went very well and we had about 35 people there.
“Walking does improve your health.
“Obviously, there are other walking groups which appeal to people who like to go five or 10 miles.
“But we actually cater to people who maybe can’t walk that far but still enjoy an hour’s walk.”
If you would like to know more about how to join the group, or more information about some of the walks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org