Felixstowe: Power blackout hits town
A MAJOR blackout hit parts of Felixstowe today – affecting more than 300 businesses near the Port of Felixstowe.
Engineers worked throughout the day to rectify the fault in and around the Haven Exchange, close to dock gates one and two at the port.
Power was restored to the majority of the 314 affected premises by 12.30pm, but engineers continued to work on the remaining 18 homes and businesses for several hours afterwards.
A spokeswoman for electricity distributors UK Power Networks said: “After a customer reported low volts this morning, engineers attended and found a fault had developed on the high voltage electricity network.
“In order to work in safety and locate the problem quickly, they had to isolate power to 314 customers from 11.03am, with the majority of supplies restored by 12.26pm.
You may also want to watch:
“The fault has now been traced to a piece of equipment in a substation, which will be repaired, and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.”
As a result of the engineering work, a number of other customers had a brief power cut at around 11am.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown