Felixstowe: Project relaunch to help town’s vulnerable people
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a project which helps older people, and those with mental health needs and learning disabilities, are preparing to relaunch the scheme and are seeking volunteers.
The Befriending Scheme will be developing its services in Felixstowe over the summer months, and starting a new drop-in centre, called The Hub.
The charity is holding an information event showcasing its work at The Hut on the prom, near the bottom of Bath Hill, Felixstowe, tomorrow from 6pm until 9pm.
Shirley Moore, chief executive officer for the Befriending Scheme, said: “As our charity expands to help more vulnerable groups, we are finding that we are receiving an increasing number of requests for our one-to-one befriending service.
“We have several people on our waiting list in the Felixstowe area who are in need of a volunteer befriender to take them out for a coffee, accompany them on a shopping trip, or help them with a particular hobby or interest.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re hoping this event will help us find those important people who might be willing to give their time to help those in need so that they no longer feel alone or isolated.”
A screening of a new short film about the charity will also be shown.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
Nicola Simmonds, volunteer co-ordinator for Felixstowe, said: “This information evening is a chance to find out what will be happening in our new drop-in centre called The Hub.
“We’d love to see any old or new members, volunteers, or anyone else who wishes to find out more about what we do.
“We will be providing refreshments, so all in all, the evening promises to be a very enjoyable one!”
For further information about The Befriending Scheme and volunteering opportunities people can visit the website www.thebefriendingscheme.org.uk or call community development officer Joanna Belfield on 07505 398245.