Felixstowe: Revamp bid for Marlborough Hotel will include new apartments
- Credit: Archant
Proposals are being drawn up to redevelop one of Felixstowe’s prime seafront hotels.
Architects have been appointed to remodel and extend the 49-bedroom Marlborough Hotel in Sea Road, with part of the site set to become apartments.
Residents attended an exhibition to see images of the proposed scheme and give their views on the initial ideas for the three-storey property, a prominent feature of the resort for almost a century.
Alec Howson, on behalf of CH Architects LLP, based in Clerkenwell Green, London, said: “The redevelopment includes the conversion of the existing Edwardian buildings into a hotel and flats, along with a new building on the site of the existing car park.”
The idea of the exhibition was to enable people living in the area to discuss any concerns, so that these could be addressed as part of the scheme and the preparation of the final plans. Once the project is complete, a planning application will be submitted to Suffolk Coastal District Council.
You may also want to watch:
The popular hotel is also a major conference venue for Felixstowe, as well as hosting various events each year, including social functions and acting as a meeting place for organisations.
A reduction in hotel beds would be a further blow to the resort, which is already facing the eventual loss of the Waverley Hotel, whose owners have been granted consent to convert the clifftop property to homes and shops, with a new block of flats alongside, creating 23 apartments.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 4 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 5 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 6 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 7 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 8 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 9 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
The former North Sea Hotel, in Sea Road, also currently stands empty.