Felixstowe: Sea swimming title-holder passes on tips to youngsters
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A Suffolk man who this year became only the 12th person in history to swim the prison escape triple crown will pass on his expertise to youngsters in Felixstowe this weekend.
Nick Glendinning, from Woodbridge, who has swum from Robben Island to Cape Town, Alcatraz to San Francisco Harbour and Spike Island to the Irish mainland, will be holding a free open water swimming session for children aged 10-16, alongside Seamus Bennett, founder of Felixstowe Swimscapes, on Saturday, July 26.
The informal group of local swimmers began a couple of years ago but already has more than 30 swimmers taking to the water on twice-weekly swims, in all weathers.
Mr Glendinning, whose son Alfie last year became the youngest person to swim from the UK mainland to the Isle of Wight, aged 10, said: “We have seen people pushing themselves towards increasingly ambitious goals and challenges. Along the way we have had various kids swim with us and we have seen how well they have taken to sea swimming. As a response we wanted to hold an individual event for local kids to help encourage them to get involved in this growing sport.”
Saturday’s session, from 9am-11am, will include an introduction to sea swimming, explanation of the difference between pool and open water swimming, alterations required to swimming technique, how best to deal the cold water, an explanation of tides and currents, and plenty of swimming in the sea.
You may also want to watch:
Swimmers must be capable of swimming 400m in a pool.
Visit Felixstowe Swimscapes on Facebook, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs