Felixstowe: Seafront gardens renovation set to be complete by summer 2014
WORK should start next April on the �2.76 million regeneration of Felixstowe’s nationally-important seafront gardens.
Suffolk Coastal has started the tender process – looking for a contractor to carry out the work on the council-led initiative, which has backing from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).
It says it is seeking a “qualified and experienced” company and firms have until November 7 to express an interest in the project, be assessed and then invited to make a full tender for the works.
“We are now at the next important stage, where we need to appoint our partners who will carry out much of the physical works that will help transform the gardens and so play their part in the ongoing regeneration of Felixstowe,” said Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member for leisure and economic development.
“There is a wide range of works to be carried out that will not only give the gardens an exciting fresh new look, but will also restore much of what has made them so special for so many years, and have rightly gained them national heritage recognition.
You may also want to watch:
“Our goal is to get someone appointed by next March and get the transformation works underway in April which should mean they are all finished by the peak summer holiday period of 2014.”
The gardens are designated Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 5 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 9 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 10 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
The main work involves restoring structures and enhancing the heritage features of the gardens, as well as creating a new public shelter.
In addition there will be improved lighting and seating, a new heritage trail, improved public space, reinstated and enhanced gardens, with much better accessibility and safety for all visitors.
?To access the e-tendering service, visit www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/yourdistrict/felixstowefutures/seafrontgardens/.