Felixstowe: Staff at jewellers tell of smash and grab raid attempt
A SHOP manager today spoke of the moment when would-be thieves tried to smash their way into a town centre jewellery store.
Two men are being hunted by police after the daring day-time smash and grab attempt at Hill’s the Jewellers in Orwell Road, Felixstowe.
It is believed a hammer was used to break the glass in the front window of the shop – the glass shattered but held in place and nothing was stolen.
Police cordoned off an area around the shop while they conducted their inquiries.
Paul Harris-Magri, manager of the family-owned business, said: “We were serving a customer in the shop who was looking for a 25th wedding anniversary present for her husband when we heard this almighty banging.
You may also want to watch:
“I immediately went to the front of the shop and saw these guys hammering at the window.
“Whether it was me who scared them or the man from Fresh Trims across the road, I don’t know, but they ran off.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 8 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 9 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 10 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
“We then secured the shop and pressed the panic button which links automatically to the police. It was all over pretty quickly.
“It’s not the sort of thing you expect to happen in Felixstowe but it can happen anywhere nowadays. The response from the police was superb.”
Officers investigating the attempted raid say the town centre was busy at the time and are appealing for people who may have seen the incident or the men to come forward.
The incident happened at 1.35pm and is being treated as an attempted burglary.
Two men were seen to run off towards Leopold Road. Both were in their 20s, around 5ft 10in tall. One wore a green hooded top, green padded Barbour-style jacket and jeans, and the other a grey padded Barbour-style jacket and dark coloured tracksuit bottoms.
A hammer was recovered from the pavement beneath the smashed window.
? Anyone who was in the area and saw the incident or the men should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.