Felixstowe: Theatre closes its doors for final time
After 103 years, the town’s Spa Pavilion formally closed its doors today as a venue for seafront entertainment.
The cast of the panto Aladdin bid a final farewell as their run in the historic building came to an end.
Uncertainty now surrounds its future as supporters cling to the hope that a new operator will take over the theatre.
In January last year it was announced that Suffolk Coastal’s decided to axe the �240,000-a-year subsidy paid to the theatre management company to run the venue.
Property consultancy firm Jones Lang LaSalle have been appointed to sell the freehold of the 892-seater seafront venue, which could be taken over by another theatre operator or perhaps converted into another attraction or a mix of tourism-related uses.
You may also want to watch:
Sylvia Lowe, director of the Dennis Lowe Theatre Company, said: “It is just so sad – I am devastated. We never believed this could happen.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain