Felixstowe: Woman treated by medics after blaze ravages caravan
A WOMAN was recovering today after narrowly escaping serious injury when a blaze tore through her caravan, threatening to destroy everything in its path.
Emergency services were called to the caravan fire at the rear of the Dooley Inn pub in Ferry Lane, Felixstowe, at about 10pm on Saturday.
Three fire crews were sent to tackle the blaze, which also threatened to engulf a large propane gas cylinder.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they reported that the caravan was “well alight” and a spokesman for the brigade said the incident was brought under control by 11.20pm using three hose reel jets.
A woman in the caravan was suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
The blaze tore through the static caravan – which was parked up at the rear of the pub alongside several other mobile home – completely destroying it on one side.
Initial reports led police to believe that the incident was suspicious and a police cordon was set up while investigations were carried out.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 6 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 7 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 8 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 9 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 10 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
But last night a spokesman for Suffolk police told the Ipswich Star that officers were no longer treating the blaze as suspicious and they did not believe there was any third party involvement.
He said: “A woman was taken in to hospital with smoke inhalation but after an investigation we believe it to be non-suspicious and that there was no foul play.”
It is understood the fire was accidental and was possibly caused by electrical items inside the caravan.
n Did you see the blaze? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org