Felixstowe: Work to start on £2m Spa Gardens restoration
- Credit: Archant
WORK is set to start this month on the £2.76million refurbishment of Felixstowe’s nationally-important seafront gardens following the award of the main contract for the project.
The scheme will see the Spa Gardens and the South Cliff Gardens, next to Felixstowe Town Hall, restored to their former glory.
The contract has been awarded to P Casey (Land Reclamation) Ltd.
Geoff Holdcroft, Suffolk Coastal cabinet member for leisure and economic development, said P Casey has won a number of awards for its work – most recently last year when the company received both the principal award and the grand award at the National Landscape Awards from the British Association of Landscape Industries for its restoration of Lichfield’s historic parks.
The aim is for the works to be finished by the peak summer holiday period of 2014.
Mr Holdcroft said: “The main work covered by the contract is restoring structures and enhancing the heritage features of the gardens, as well as creating a new public shelter.
“In addition there will be improved lighting and seating, a new heritage trail, an improved public space, reinstated and enhanced gardens, with much better accessibility and safety for all visitors.”
- 1 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 7 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 Firefighters tackle recycling lorry blaze in Suffolk village
- 10 Major infrastructure projects 'putting pressure' on Suffolk
The firm will work alongside the council’s project manager Corinne Cappell and the project team of Mott MacDonald Ltd and Gleeds Cost Management Ltd.
During parts of the work, there will be closures of areas of the gardens and parking restrictions along the seafront.