Final countdown for modern art exhibition featuring Banksy works
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
The arrival of several Banksy pieces was a "pinch me" moment for organisers of "one of the most culturally-significant modern art exhibitions anywhere in the UK this year".
It features works by 23 of the world’s best-known contemporary artists including eight original works by the world’s most exciting and controversial street artist, Banksy.
Ian Clarke, marketing and sales manager for West Suffolk Council, Leisure and Culture, said: “Moyse’s Hall Museum has created what is without doubt one of the most culturally-significant modern art exhibitions anywhere in the UK this year.
"The Moments exhibition, which is the most valuable Moyse’s Hall has ever curated, comprises of 23 internationally-acclaimed artists, including eight original Banksy’s and work by Pure Evil, Blek le Rat, My Dog Sighs, The Connor Brothers, Kaws, Rachel List and Damien Hirst.
"It’s all becoming very real now, with the final preparations taking place ready for the opening next week. The exhibition has been in the planning since late last summer and we are now seeing the fruits of the labour.
"Just this morning [May 13] we had several major Banksy pieces arrive via the conservator, which really was a ‘pinch me’ moment.
"We’re also buoyed by the advance tickets sales, which despite lockdowns over the past months are suggesting the exhibition is going to be a huge success."
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 6 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 7 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 8 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 9 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 10 Suspected drink driver who crashed into bush among five arrested in Newmarket area
Highly regarded as an exhibition of national importance, Moments is a major coup for the town and probably the hottest modern art exhibition in the UK this year.
It will play a major role in helping the town’s economic recovery, after the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdowns. Even with some restrictions, this exhibition could attract significant cultural tourism from across the UK.
Organised in association with Brandler Galleries, original works by featured artists in addition to Banksy will include Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin.
Amongst the highlights will be the artworks by Banksy, including the ‘Hula-Hooping Girl’ which originally appeared on the side of a building in residential Nottingham. Some of the artworks and prints will be available for purchase.
Timed viewing slots of one hour must be pre-booked either online here, in person at the Apex or by calling the Apex box office on 01284 758000.
There are early bird prices for booking before the exhibition opens: £5 for adults and £3.50 for concessions and children aged 5-16 years.