Guests evacuated after incident at George & Dragon hotel
- Credit: Harry Copsey
Hotel guests staying in Long Melford were evacuated after fire alarms were triggered by a boiler last night.
Three fire engines were sent to the George & Dragon in Hall Street after the alarms were activated at around 7pm on Saturday, September 5.
It is understood that a boiler venting steam had triggered the alarms at the historic pub, which is a former coaching inn..
A member of staff who did not wish to be identified said: “It was caused by steam from the boiler tank. We have new systems up there which are very sensitive and accurate and were set off.”
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire & Rescue Service said two appliances from Sudbury and one from Long Melford were mobilised to attend.
You may also want to watch:
The incident had taken place in a loft area measuring 20 metres by 50 but there had been no damage.
The spokeswoman said the building had been evacuated by the time firefighters had arrived and no-one was injured.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 8 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
The incident was declared over by 7.50pm.