Historic 17th century cottage blaze started accidentally, say firefighters
- Credit: Archant
A devastating fire at a 400-year-old thatched cottage near the A12 started by accident, according to Essex Fire and Rescue.
Blue Barns Cottage, in Ardleigh, near Colchester, was the scene of a huge fire on January 20, with the thatched roof catching “100% alight”.
At its height the blaze was battled by 12 crews, forking out burning thatch while hot-spots flared up inside the building, causing bursts of flames just inches away from emergency workers.
The following day the building was extinguished, but the extensive damage throughout the property has led firefighters to conclude that the fire started accidentally.
The fire broke out at around 4.50pm on Sunday, January 20.
You may also want to watch:
By 11.30pm the firefighters had removed around 90% of the thatch while crews continued to dampen down burning material and the surrounding areas.
The fire was finally put out completely by 6.30am, with two fire crews remaining at the scene on Monday to monitor the wreckage while the investigation took place.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 5 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 6 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 7 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 8 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
Speaking at the scene on Sunday night, incident commander Lee Lucas of Essex fire service said: “The only way to fight this fire was to pitch ladders up to the roof to remove the thatch – by the time we had done that it had broken through.
Fire chiefs said no-one was hurt in the blaze.
Station manager Martyn Hare added: “We had crews inside the building, salvaging historical contents and protecting the property from further damage.
“Often thatch fires can take a lot of manpower to tackle and our firefighters did a brilliant job in difficult conditions.”