Fire at Ipswich Waterfront
FIRE crews are currently battling a blaze in a derelict building on Ipswich Waterfront.Flames can be seen in the former Paul's Specialist Maltings building and black smoke is billowing across the road.
FIRE crews were called to battle a blaze in a partially derelict building on Ipswich Waterfront today.
Crowds gathered to watch as flames took hold in the former Paul's Specialist Maltings building shortly before 7am. Black smoke billowed out of windows and across the road and bright blue flashes could be seen as the main electricity cable caught light.
Assistant Divisional Officer Geoff Pyke said the cause of the fire was being treated as accidental.
He said: “Some workmen were here this morning doing some hot cutting in the room where the fire subsequently took hold.
“They didn't realise there was a fire but the next time they checked in the room they called us.
The fire engulfing the cabling was allowed to burn, sealing the plastic coating over the live wire but crews quenched the rest of the flames with water.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 6 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 7 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 10 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
ADO Pyke said: “Fortunately the building was empty and made of concrete which meant the fire hadn't spread to any of the other floors.
“We searched the building with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to make sure that was the case.”
A total of four appliances attended the scene.
n. FIRE crews were called to an Ipswich home in the early hours today after a fence caught light.
Flames took hold of around two metres of fence and decking at a home in Richmond road, Ipswich, at shortly after 1am. The fire was under control by 1.15am.