Fire at Peking Palace restaurant in Colchester
PUBLISHED: 20:06 29 April 2016 | UPDATED: 20:06 29 April 2016
Firefighters tackled a restaurant blaze in Colchester on Friday.
Two fire engines were called to the incident at Peking Palace in Harwich Road at 12.20pm.
Crews used one hose reel jet to stop the fire spreading within a wall cavity in the restaurant. The fire was extinguished by 12.50pm.
A ventilation fan was used to clear the restaurant of smoke.
Station officer Pete Donovan, from Colchester Fire Station, said: “Firefighters worked quickly in preventing the fire spreading further up the wall cavity.
“The restaurant is a timber building and the fire could have easily spread further if crews had not reacted so promptly.
“The Peking Palace is undergoing some restoration work and a heat gun was used during the restoration. We believe felt within the wall cavity overheated, igniting the fire.”