Fire crews called to electric blanket blaze at property in Holland-on-Sea
- Credit: Mike Page
A warning has been issued about the dangers of electric blankets after a blaze at an Essex home.
Two fire crews from Clacton were called to Merrilees Crescent in Holland-on-Sea at 1am today to reports of an electric blanket on fire.
Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze by 1.15am and crews used a positive pressured fan to clear smoke from the property.
Divisional officer of Essex County Fire and Rescue Service Neil Fenwick said: “All electric blankets should be checked regularly for signs of wear and tear and if your blanket is more than 10 years old then it should be replaced immediately.
“When you buy a new electric blanket make sure it has ‘overheat protection’, which will cut off the electricity if it becomes too hot.”
You may also want to watch:
He added all electric blankets should carry the British Standard Kitemark and the British Electrotechnical Approvals Board (BEAB) symbol on them.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 10 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'