Busy day for Suffolk’s firefighters continues with blazes in Redgrave, Great Barton and Brandon Forest

Fire crews tackling a previous crop fire in Suffolk Picture: RUSSELL COOK

Fire crews tackling a previous crop fire in Suffolk Picture: RUSSELL COOK - Credit: Archant

Firefighters have been called to another three open air fires in Suffolk this afternoon.

At 3.15pm four engines were sent to a fire in Fen Street in Redgrave, near Diss.

According to a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, six acres of cut straw were alight.

He said crews surrounded the fire to prevent further spread before dividing it into sectors and dampening it down.

They called a stop to the incident at 4.45pm.

At around 4pm they were called to a blaze in Nacton Lane in Great Barton.

Four engines attended the fire where eight acres of bailed straw were well alight.

Most Read

A fire spokesman said crews worked alongside the farmer on a teleporter to pull apart the bails and extinguish the fire.

They called a stop on the incident at 5.03pm but remained on scene to check for hotpots.

Then at 4.45pm they were called to a fire in Brandon Forest.

Two engines were sent to the scene and a stop was called ay around 5.15pm.

The recent hot and dry weather has contributed to a number of large scale open-air fires in the region in the last few weeks, prompting calls from Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service for people to be extra careful.

Chief fire officer Mark Hardingham said: “With the extreme hot and dry weather to continue throughout the Wimbledon fortnight, the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service encourages everyone to be extra vigilant. Be aware of fire risks when you are out in the open, especially near to standing crop, crop stubble or trees and undergrowth, all of which is currently tinder dry.”

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service have also been busy, having been called to a field fire Stebbing Green, near Braintree, at around 3.15pm today.

Seven fire engines were sent to the scene.

A fire spokesman said: “At 4.30pm crews reported that approximately 15 hectares of field had been affected by the fire.

“Firefighters worked quickly to stop the fire spreading and then brought it under control by dividing it into sections and used hose reel jets and beaters to tackle it.”

Crews remained on scene for some time after to check for hot spots and to ensure the area was safe.