Search

Smoke alarm warning following kitchen fire in Braintree

PUBLISHED: 20:26 14 April 2019 | UPDATED: 08:13 16 April 2019

Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in Achilles Way, Braintree PIcture: GOOGLEMAPS

Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in Achilles Way, Braintree PIcture: GOOGLEMAPS

Archant

Firefighters in Essex have urged residents to check their smoke alarms following a kitchen fire in Braintree.

Crews were called to the fire, in Achilles Way, at around 4.50pm on Sunday, April 14 after receiving reports that a pan of cooking oil had caught alight.

When crews arrived, firefighters reported the fire was already out but worked to ventilate the property.

However while carrying out fire safety checks they discovered that although there was a smoke alarm in the property, the battery had been removed.

Firefighters fitted working smoke alarms inside the house.

Crew manager Paul Mayes said: “Smoke alarms alert you to the first sign of fire in your home and can be the difference between life or death.

“Although it can be tempting to remove a battery or disconnect an alarm, it's vital that you never do this and regularly test your alarm to ensure it's working correctly.”

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service will provide and fit smoke alarms completely free of charge.

Call 0300 303 0088 for more information or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times