Huge fire in garden workshop in Monks Eleigh, Suffolk tackled by nine fire engines

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED - Credit: Contributed

Firefighters have been praised for quickly tackling a large blaze which broke out in a garden workshop in west Suffolk today.

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED - Credit: Contributed

Smoke could be seen for miles as dozens of firefighters battled for over two hours to contain the blaze in Lion Yard, Monks Eleigh on Saturday afternoon.

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

The fire is thought to have started in an outbuilding in Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED - Credit: Contributed

The owners were left “very shocked” by the incident but were “very grateful” for the quick work of firefighters to contain and put out the fire without any serious injuries, said Jon Southgate, station commander at the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service.

The county's turntable ladder was also sent to Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

The county's turntable ladder was also sent to Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED - Credit: Contributed

An investigation into the blaze remains ongoing. It is not thought to have been suspicious.

The county's turntable ladder was also sent to Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

The county's turntable ladder was also sent to Monks Eleigh. Picture: CONTRIBUTED - Credit: Contributed

The blaze spread to an adjoining two-storey property used a studio by the resident, and spread on the other side to the roof of a terraced property – the start of four terraces.


You may also want to watch:


The studio was extensively damaged but the property – which firefighters had to break into – suffered only minor damage to the roof.

The fire at the property, based behind the former historic Lion pub which closed around 30 years ago and was converted into properties about a decade ago, was reported at 2.05pm and was put out at 4.20pm.

Most Read

Mr Southgate said: “The owners are very shocked but grateful for the swift actions of the initial crews in preventing a worse fire and stopping it spreading.

“The firefighters did a very good job. Smoke could be seen for many miles.”

Nine fire appliances from around Suffolk were called to the scene. Three remained to check for hotspots until this evening.

A resident at the property was treated for minor smoke inhalation and taken to West Suffolk Hospital for a check-up, Mr Southgate said.

The fire service is due to return to the property and check on the owners on Sunday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter