Cat saved from flat fire caused by cigarette

Firefighters have offered advice after a fire started in a block of flats in Colchester after a pers

Fire crews were called to a flat in Parkeston on Sunday mornign (file photo) - Credit: Archant

Fire crews revived an unconscious cat after a cigarette started a flat blaze by setting bedding alight.

Three Essex County Fire & Rescue Service engines from Dovercourt, Clacton and Weeley were dispatched to a property in Tyler Street, Parkeston, at about 3.30am on Sunday.

The fire service was called after the flat's resident was awoken by the sound of a smoke alarm.

On arrival, firefighters confirmed the blaze was in the bedroom on the first floor of the building, with the remainder of the flat smoke-logged.

Crew members used oxygen to successfully revive a cat, who was unconscious due to smoke inhalation.

The fire was extinguished by 4.19am.

Watch Manager, Gary Clarke, said: "Thankfully, in this incident, the smoke alarm sounded and woke the resident, who called 999.

Most Read

"Smoke alarms are often the first sign of a fire at home. Without a working smoke alarm, we expect this would have been a very different outcome."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter