Fire leaves bungalow in ruins
A BUNGALOW in a Suffolk village was severely damaged in a fierce blaze tonight.
AN ARSON investigation is under way into a blaze which severely damaged a bungalow in a Suffolk village.
The fire started just after 9pm on Monday night at the unoccupied property in Pattern Bush Close, Brantham, and crews from Manningtree, Holbrook and Ipswich were called.
It took around an hour to bring under control, and firefighters said around 25% of the property was destroyed.
People in the area reported hearing an explosion, with glass appearing to have been blasted out of a front window and being scattered 30 metres away.
Speaking at the scene, the landlord of the property, who did not want to be named, said: “There was an explosion. The neighbour called me and I came down and found the fire brigade and police here. The property is empty at the moment.”
Meanwhile, fire crews in the west of the county were busy on Monday dealing with two chimney fires - including one at a pub.
- 1 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 4 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 5 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 6 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 7 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 8 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 9 Cook's strongman act, vacancies to fill and a new challenger - Town face Barrow
- 10 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
The first incident happened just after 5pm at The Crown in Glemsford, and then just after 6.30pm there was a second chimney blaze at a property in Church Square, Bures.
Both incidents took several hours to bring under control, but the extent of the damage was unclear.