Fire leaves family homeless

A FAMILY have had a very lucky escape after a youngster woke up and realised his home was on fire.

James Hore

A FAMILY have had a very lucky escape after a youngster woke up and realised his home was on fire.

The fire broke out in the house in the Highwoods area of Colchester just before 1.30am today.

The youngster smelt smoke in the house and woke the rest of his family who escaped without serious injury.


You may also want to watch:


However, firefighters have said the family were lucky to be alive because the home was not fitted with a smoke alarm.

Two crews from Colchester were called the house in Princess Drive and were confronted with smoke pouring from the first floor windows.

Most Read

Station officer Costas Olymbios from Colchester fire station said: “The house did not have a working smoke alarm.

“It is vital that your home is fitted with a working smoke alarm - this could be your only warning if a fire breaks out in your home. “It is important to maintain and test your smoke alarm regularly.”

One person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

It is thought that the blaze started in a bedroom when insulation covering wires under the floorboards overheated.

Firefighters had to cut into the floor boards to reach the seat of the blaze and crews wearing breathing apparatus put it out by about 2.10am.

Crews from Colchester have returned to advise neighbours about home fire safety advice and the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service carry out home safety visits - for more information call 0845 6012495.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter