Fire ravages part of Suffolk school
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze that threatened to destroy part of a Suffolk school late last night.More than 80 firefighters from across the county were drafted in to deal with the fire at Ipswich's Copleston High School, after the alarm was raised by a caretaker shortly after 11pm.
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze that threatened to destroy part of a Suffolk school late last night.
More than 80 firefighters from across the county were drafted in to deal with the fire at Ipswich's Copleston High School, after the alarm was raised by a caretaker shortly after 11pm.
Fire crews first put out a smaller fire in a gym cupboard before tackling the main fire in an administration building.
Two turntable ladders were used and firefighters wearing breathing apparatuses went inside the building on all three storeys and fought the flames in all directions.
You may also want to watch:
A cordon was put up around part of the school as firefighters believed the roof would collapse.
The blaze was last night being treated as suspicious and crews were expected to be on the scene throughout today.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
But the deputy head at the scene said he was determined to get the school up and running as soon as possible.
Full story in today's EADT