50 residents evacuated after fire at large block of flats
- Credit: Archant
A fire at a large, five-storey block of flats in Mistley led to 50 residents being evacuated while firefighters tackled a blaze in an airing cupboard which caused damage to several properties.
Essex Fire and Rescue attended the incident at 4.42pm today (Thursday, February 6) at Rodwell House in School Lane, Mistley, where residents were evacuated into the nearby car park.
Matt Warren lives in the flats and said the fire alarm sounded at 4.35pm, when the residents began to smell smoke.
He said everyone was cold outside and that no-one was aware of the nature of the incident, but added: "As far as I'm aware everyone is okay."
Firefighters later said a flat had suffered suspected fire damage, with surrounding flats suffering smoke and water damage,
You may also want to watch:
They said they found the source of the fire in an airing cupboard of a second floor flat. It was extinguished by 6.17pm.
A spokesman for the service added: "Firefighters then worked to ensure the fire had not spread through any internal walls as well as clear the building of smoke.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 3 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 6 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 7 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 10 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
"The flat has suffered fire damage and there is also smoke damage and water damage to a number of surrounding flats.
"Fire investigation officers will carry out an investigation into the cause of the fire."
There were no injuries reported.