Electrical fault thought to have started Essex airing cupboard fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have highlighted the importance of smoke alarms after a blaze in an airing cupboard was quickly tackled causing only “limited” damage.
The fire was reported at around 2.15pm in a floor flat in School Lane, Mistley, after the owner found flames in their airing cupboard.
Crews from Colchester, Dovercourt and Manningtree attended the fire and had it out by 2.50pm, after which they used a fan to clear the property of smoke.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service’s watch manager Ian Ryder said: “Thankfully the owners were alerted to the fire quickly because of their working smoke alarm.
“On discovering the fire the owners closed the airing cupboard door, got out of the property and called 999, which was the right thing to do.
You may also want to watch:
“Because the airing cupboard door was closed it also limited the fire damage, with the rest of the room only suffering from slight heat and smoke damage.”
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental and is thought to have started because of an electrical fault.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 9 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed