Firefighters rescue Colchester man who fell asleep while cooking caught fire

Firefighters rescued the man. File picture

Firefighters rescued the man. File picture

Firefighters were called to rescue a man from a flat fire in Colchester, after his cooking caught fire while he slept in another room.

A fire crew each from Colchester, West Mersea and Manningtree were called at 8.54pm last night to the flat in Valentinus Crescent, where there were reports a man may have been trapped inside.

Firefighters discovered the man in the doorway of his flat overcome with smoke, and carried him through the smoke-logged communal area and outside to safety.

They then returned to tackle the flames, reporting that the oven was completely alight.

The flames were put out by 9.30pm, and they left the man in the care of paramedics.

He is not believed to have been seriously injured.

A fire service spokesman said: “The kitchen has suffered fire and smoke damage and the rest of the flat and communal areas have suffered smoke damage.”

Most Read

In light of the blaze, Essex Fire and Rescue has issued advice to homeowners on keeping safe:

Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.

Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.

Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.

Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.