Sunlight on mirror sparks house fire
- Credit: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE
Residents were lucky to escape unharmed after sunlight on a mirror caused a desk to catch alight at an Essex property.
Firefighters were called to a blaze at the two-storey home in Walton-on-the-Naze shortly after 11am on Sunday, December 2.
The fire was sparked by sunlight on a bedroom mirror, which caused a desk to catch alight.
Two engines were rushed to the scene in Third Avenue, where crews used a saw to cutaway the area of the desk that had been affected, before using ventilation fans to clear the room of smoke.
Fortunately, no-one was injured and the house has escaped major damage.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex County Fire & Rescue Service said: “This incident shows how easy it is for magnifying or reflective objects to cause fires. Please ensure there are no such objects on your window sils or anywhere in your home where they are in direct sunlight.
“This property also had no smoke alarms fitted - meaning the occupants weren’t alerted as quickly as they may otherwise have been.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
“If you don’t have any working smoke alarms in your home, we’ll fit them for free - simply visit essex-fire.gov.uk/book to arrange your home fire safety visit.”