Firefighters tackle chip pan blaze at Essex home
- Credit: Archant
An unattended chip pan caused a fire at a house in Essex yesterday evening after smoke alarms alerted homeowners to the blaze.
Firefighters were called to Westridge Way in Clacton shortly after 6pm to reports that a chip pan in the kitchen was alight.
Two crews - from Weeley and Clacton - worked to extinguish the fire by 6.31pm, and a man was treated for smoke inhalation and left in the care of the ambulance service.
Watch manager Kieran Warner said: "Thankfully they had working smoke alarms, one upstairs and one downstairs which is great and those alarms alerted them to the fire.
"Please take care when cooking with oil and never leave cooking unattended."
You may also want to watch:
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service issued the following advice when cooking with oil:
- Take care when cooking with hot oil - it sets alight easily.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 8 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it does not splash.
- If the oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can't overheat.
- If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.
- Check smoke alarms in your home.