Search

Fire crews tackle kitchen blaze after oven bursts into flames

PUBLISHED: 21:49 16 November 2019 | UPDATED: 21:49 16 November 2019

Firefighters tackled a kitchen blaze in Clacton Picture PHIL MORLEY

Firefighters tackled a kitchen blaze in Clacton Picture PHIL MORLEY

Archant

Firefighters tackled a kitchen blaze in Essex this afternoon after smoke alarms alerted residents.

Crews attended the oven fire in Wellesley Road, Clacton, and worked to extinguish it by 2.52pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental after the grill in the oven had burst into flames while cooking.

You may also want to watch:

The kitchen suffered extensive smoke damage but residents shut the kitchen door when getting out of the house and damage was minimised, according to the fire service.

Crew manager Andy Anderson, from Clacton Fire Station, said: "We want to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms, they alert you to the first signs of fire.

"In the event of a fire, shut doors to minimise smoke damage and contain the fire while you get out of the house and call the fire service.

"In the build up to Christmas, clean your oven regularly to avoid a build-up of grease and minimise the risk of fire."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times