Fire crews tackle kitchen blaze after oven bursts into flames
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters tackled a kitchen blaze in Essex this afternoon after smoke alarms alerted residents.
Crews attended the oven fire in Wellesley Road, Clacton, and worked to extinguish it by 2.52pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental after the grill in the oven had burst into flames while cooking.
The kitchen suffered extensive smoke damage but residents shut the kitchen door when getting out of the house and damage was minimised, according to the fire service.
Crew manager Andy Anderson, from Clacton Fire Station, said: "We want to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms, they alert you to the first signs of fire.
You may also want to watch:
"In the event of a fire, shut doors to minimise smoke damage and contain the fire while you get out of the house and call the fire service.
"In the build up to Christmas, clean your oven regularly to avoid a build-up of grease and minimise the risk of fire."
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'