New rickshaws helping tourists explore Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
With so much stunning coastline and countryside to explore, getting around all of Suffolk’s picturesque beauty spots can be a challenge.
But now, one company is hoping to make it a little easier - with a unique way of getting round to see all that the county has to offer.
The Suffolk Rickshaw Company has become the first business to apply for a rickshaw licence from Suffolk Coastal District Council.
It follows a consultation made by both Suffolk Coastal and Waveney councils into whether towns and villages in the area would be interested in having the vehicles pedalling around the town.
After the consultation, the councils approved the plans - and since then Ian Lightfoot, who runs The Suffolk Rickshaw Company, has been in talks with the councils’ licensing teams sorting out the details and requirements of the new licence.
Now fully licenced, Mr Lightfoot has been taking passengers in an around Felixstowe to enjoy the fine weather and attractions.
The process has taken some time to sort out but Mr Lightfoot believes that it has been worth it.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 7 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 8 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 9 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
“I am pleased,” said Mr Lightfoot. “It was a necessary requirement to ensure the safety of the public.
“Well done East Suffolk, they have covered everything.”
With summer in full swing, the rickshaw has been out and about at local events.
Next week it will feature at the Felixstowe Carnival, having visited Stowmarket Carnival previously.
Mr Lightfoot’s rickshaw has been supported for a long time by The Salon by Jennifer Louise, which has advertising boards on the rickshaw.
Salon director Jennifer Pearson said: “It is a pleasure. We need to support our local people.”
A spokesman for Suffolk Coastal District council said: “We welcome initiatives like this.
“People with limited mobility can see the sights and the resort, which is booming at the moment.”
Those wishing to go out on the rickshaw during weekends should contact Mr Lightfoot in advance via the Suffolk Rickshaw Company’s Facebook page or by phone on 07857 930086.